Monday, January 22, 2007

My thoughts

Today in class we were introduced to typographical hierarchies. I found that the key rules that we were taught very insightful. Rules such as left justified text is easier to read then justified text, except for when working with columns. In the past I was taught that justified papers make your work look neater, so I have justified my papers. However after learning that it makes the text actually harder to read I will re-think this decision. What I have been taught in this course already are aspects that I never knew and feel that I am learning a lot. I feel that because of the extensive amount of information on the topic of design that I am going to have a hard time retaining it. So far I have also found the text book really helpful as it is a source to refer back to. The class blog is also a great help, especially directions, and examples.
So far I feel that the class is going quite well. I find some aspects frustrating such as the last assignment. I was really excited with my chosen images and how the final product turned out but the printing wasn't 100% and I am worried about my grade. I guess I'm frustrated because I spent so much time on this assignment when it is only worth 5%. Not that the amount that its worth gives it any less of value, but I feel that perhaps it is taking me longer to learn then others. I mentioned to a class mate how time consuming the process was for me and he said "really, I found it rather easy." I guess I shouldn't be too upset; I am taking this course along with many nmed majors, which I am not. I guess I just want hard work to pay off. It is only the beginning and I have a lot to learn.

No comments: